The Kitchen Window

The Kitchen Window
Antique Milk Bottles with Herbs and Flowers

Welcome!

Welcome to the Frog Hollow Farm blog! I've been blogging since January 2010 and have switched from Blogger to Word Press, but I'm back to Blogger because, for me, it's easier to use. My husband and I live on a little farm in Northwest New Jersey. We have some chickens and a very large vegetable garden with asparagus and raspberries, and rows and rows of sunflowers, snapdragons and zinnias. Traveling, entertaining, gardening, spending time with family, studying Italian, blogging and reading keep us busy and happy. With all of this going on, moving towards a simpler life seems almost impossible but it's definitely a daily goal.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lavender and Summer Sundays


Hello everyone and welcome to Summer Sundays # 4 at The (Wonderfully Talented) Tablescaper!!  This week's post is going to be short because I'm working on my little HP mini laptop and it's a little slow and difficult to work with today for some reason.     

For all of us at Frog Hollow Farm, summer brings the beautiful and delightful blooms of the lavender plants that grow in our east garden.  For me, the scent of lavender is about the most soul soothing scent I know.  Above, I have a few blooms in a old pressed glass vase in the conservatory.




There are several different varieties that grow on the terraced east garden.  Of course I don't know their names nor am I organized enough to have thought of researching that before beginning this post. 



The butter-yellow Stella D'Oro lillies work well with the lavender. 



Hope you're having a wonderful summer weekend!  FHFB is outside right now finishing up our chicken coop!  Can't wait to post it for you all to see. 

Ciao, bella!

18 comments:

  1. Looks great, I love lavender but I don't think I cut mine back correctly because they lose that round/mounded shape. Have to look into that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear friend....I have had a love affair with lavender for as long as I can remember. It is something we can grow in AZ and it will withstand the summer heat.

    XO

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY SUNDAY FARM GIRL,
    BEAUTIFUL GARDENS, AND YOUR LAVENDER IS HEAVENLY. I LOVE IT TOO. I DID A POST ON ALL KINDS OF LAVENDER A WHILE BACK, AND CHANGED MY WHOLE BLOG TO LAVENDER, IT WAS BEAUTIFUL, BUT THEN CHANGED IT BACK TO OCEAN BLUE. LOVE YOUR PITCHERS. TAKE CARE.
    LOVE, AUNT RIZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ann Marie,

    I'm looking at your blog and I haven't found one frog.

    The flowers are nice and the photo's remind me of somebody's calendar.

    Keep up the good work. Maybe you can put some photo's on of your husband Frank.

    Lotsa luck

    Uncle Dick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous lilies and lavenders! I can smell the lavender fragrance!..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I love lavender! Would you believe I just bought a lavender cookbook in which every recipe has lavender as an ingredient?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful lavender from your garden! I agree, it is a wonderful fragrance...so calming:)
    Many thanks for your very kind comment and Happy Summer Sunday!

    Jeanne:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want lavender in my garden but have yet to find a plant. I tried planting seeds but they never seem to grow.
    Love your pics.
    hugs
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have such a green thumb! Your pictures are beautiful and the recipes look great... and healthy.
    Thanks for the visit today.
    I'll be back.
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your lavendar is gorgeous. How lucky for you to have so many varieties.

    Thanks so much for your kind words and for joining "SUMMER SUNDAYS". Hope you'll be with us next week too!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful photos of your lavender. I just love the smell and I love to walk through it and the gentle smell it gives as it brushes your legs. Thanks for sharing your lovely garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is something about the smell of lavender... you are right! I also love your photos. HOw beautiful the lavender looks in that pretty glass vase. They are perfect for eachother! Do you dry lavender? I just love to have it in bowls around my home!
    A very wonderful post!!!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  13. How gorgeous! I love freshly cut lavender---the scent is divine!

    xx Katie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love lavender, too. Yours is just beautiful! I was re-reading your previous post. How fun it would be to take a cooking class with your DH. It sounds like you both enjoy being in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoyed visiting with you in your garden. Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, the smell of lavender! Soothing yes, and so persistent. I make lavender sachets every summer with friends who have a house in Tuscany. I call it La Piccola Provenza, becasue their bushes of spontaneous lavender are neverending.

    I miss you

    ReplyDelete
  17. sooooo good to see you today at farmhouse...

    it's getting better here..thanks to a very special little puppy...

    love to visit you so much..always wonderful

    happy 4th of july !!!
    sending love,
    kary and teddy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE Lavender too. Today I was at the Food Co Op and saw a pretty nut tiny little bottle with a sprig or two of lavender and then filled with massage oil. They wanted 12.00 for it! I'm going to make some up myself. Your post reminded me that I need to still do that. Thank you.

    Oh, and I really LOVE YOUR PRETTY PITCHER!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like little treasures, I cherish each and every one of them! Frog Hollow Farm Girl reserves the right to edit or delete all comments that are offensive, hateful in nature, or attack other visitors to this blog. All potential spam comments will be deleted.