The Kitchen Window

The Kitchen Window
Antique Milk Bottles with Herbs and Flowers

Welcome!

Welcome to the Frog Hollow Farm blog! I've been blogging since January 2010 and have switched from Blogger to Word Press, but I'm back to Blogger because, for me, it's easier to use. My husband and I live on a little farm in Northwest New Jersey. We have some chickens and a very large vegetable garden with asparagus and raspberries, and rows and rows of sunflowers, snapdragons and zinnias. Traveling, entertaining, gardening, spending time with family, studying Italian, blogging and reading keep us busy and happy. With all of this going on, moving towards a simpler life seems almost impossible but it's definitely a daily goal.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Milk Bottles

Hi everyone.  I'm not sure that this idea is really a match for Metamorphosis Monday, but I wanted to share it with you.  It's really a silly little brainstorm (?) that I had a few weeks ago, while looking through some of my antique glassware. 


First of all let me say that I seem to be a collector of pitchers for some reason. 



Many of these are Italian pottery pieces collected on various trips to Florence or Sicily.





 These pitchers are often used to hold flowers, because I don't have many uses for them other than to look pretty - we don't serve too many sauces here at Frog Hollow Farm and our Frog Hollow Farm  margaritas are poured right out of the blender. 

Another use that we have for the various pitchers is to hold milk or cream for coffee or tea served after dinner with desserts. 

But my amazing realization was that I should be using something more appropriate to hold the milk and cream....antique mini-milk bottles.



These sweet little bottles are also used as miniature flower vases here at Frog Hollow Farm, but filling them with milk or cream makes much more sense. 

So although this isn't really changing something, it is bringing it back to it's original purpose.  And I think the bottles look adorable on a table with cookies or any dessert.  It's also fun finding old milk bottles from dairies that once flourished in your neighborhood or town. 
 
When not in use I have the milk bottles lined up on my window sill.


I found that cute little green toile teapot-for-one at a great little shop called Fishs Eddy at Union Square in NYC the other day. 

Thanks for stopping by Frog Hollow Farm!

I am linked in at Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch.  Please stop by to see all of the really wonderful ideas of the bloggers that have also linked into the page!!

Ciao, bella!

 






























8 comments:

  1. GOOD MORNING FARM GIRL,
    WELL, ANOTHER WEEK STARTS, AND I HEAR IT'S SUPPOSED TO GET A LITTLE COOLER, AND WHEN I OPENED MY DOOR THIS MORNING IT WAS. I LOVE YOUR IDEA WITH THE MILK BOTTLES. I REMEMBER THEM WHEN I WAS A CHILD. AS CHILDREN WE WOULD WALK UP TO MR. HORNER'S HOUSE AND BUY MILK. HE HAD ABOUT 8 COWS. HIS WIFE WOULD PASTEURIZE THE MILK ON HER KITCHEN STOVE. THE CREAM WOULD BE AT LEAST 3 INCHES ON THE TOP OF THE BOTTLE. WE WOULD GET ABOUT 6 QUARTS, WELL WITH 7 KIDS IT WENT FAST. WITH OUR FRESH STRAWBERRIES, AND THE WHIPPED CREAM, AND YOUR GRANDMOTHER'S HOME MADE CAKE, IT WAS SOOOOO GOOD. LOVE YOUR PITCHER'S TOO. LOVE, AUNT RIZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your collection and your photos! Thanks for sharing!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little milk bottles are so adorable. That's a great idea to use them for creamers. We still have our milk delivered and it comes in bottles. The pint size half & half bottles are so cute, and I swear the cream tastes better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful update with milk! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look of milk and cream in the milk bottles - and I love Fish's Eddy - one of my favorite shops!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a lovely collection, it sure pleases the eye!

    DEBBIE MOSS

    ReplyDelete
  7. The little milk bottles are very charming and could also make terrific bud vases. Do you grow flowers too? Please stop by and get in on our glass vessel sink giveaway (last day!) if you haven't already. Jane F

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I'm back for brunch (again) and clicked on your milk bottle post. I told you how they got to me in your brunch setting, well! I really love your entire collection of pitchers and mini milk bottles. I collect pitchers as does my mom. They are wonderful for putting flowers in or, as I did on St. Pat's, putting a pot of shamrocks in the top of a St. Patrick's Day pitcher and using it as a centerpiece. You can just have so much fun with these. If you bought a lot of yours in Italy, then they'd be perfect for holding breadsticks. Any Asian ones? Put in chopsticks. Have fun. I'm enjoying your blog and am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like little treasures, I cherish each and every one of them! Frog Hollow Farm Girl reserves the right to edit or delete all comments that are offensive, hateful in nature, or attack other visitors to this blog. All potential spam comments will be deleted.