The Kitchen Window

The Kitchen Window
Antique Milk Bottles with Herbs and Flowers

Welcome!

Welcome to the Frog Hollow Farm blog! I've been blogging since January 2010 and have switched from Blogger to Word Press, but I'm back to Blogger because, for me, it's easier to use. My husband and I live on a little farm in Northwest New Jersey. We have some chickens and a very large vegetable garden with asparagus and raspberries, and rows and rows of sunflowers, snapdragons and zinnias. Traveling, entertaining, gardening, spending time with family, studying Italian, blogging and reading keep us busy and happy. With all of this going on, moving towards a simpler life seems almost impossible but it's definitely a daily goal.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Cape May


Cape May, New Jersey has always been a favorite get-away spot for FHFB and me.  Way back when, when our two children were little, we would steal away and stay at one of the beautiful old Victorian bed and breakfast homes for a few days of total rest and relaxation. 

Several years ago we also began celebrating my birthday in Cape May, along with my very special birthday sister, Carol. 

Cape May has a lot to offer for the single traveler, couples and families.  This year we stayed at the Sand Piper Hotel right on Beach Avenue.  The location of this hotel is really fantastic, althought the rates are a little high during their peak season.  Here's a view from our balcony, sorry about the yellow van but you can see how close we were to the beach. 

FHFB and I really love so many things about Cape May.  Of course, the Victorian homes are magnificent, and staying at one of the Victorian bed and breakfasts is really a treat.  My favorite is The Mainstay Inn - to me it is the most elegant of all the B&B's we've stayed at in Cape May - it was originally the town's gambling house in the late 1890's.

We love staying at interesting hotels and inns when we travel, and will be staying at the Willard Street Inn in Burlington, Vermont in a few weeks - that is also a beautiful B&B as well and Burlington is a wonderful small city to visit.  But, I digress....

Here are just a couple of the Victorian B&B's in Cape May:

The restaurants in Cape May are phenomenal - our favorite is 410 Bank Street, located right on Bank Street!! 
Everything on the menu is delicious  - FHFB's favorite is the oyster stew.  410 Bank Street is also a BYOB so your cost for dinner is a bit more reasonable when you can bring your own wine.  This is the entrance garden as you walk into the restaurant:




It's sister restaurant is Fresco's, right next door!

Freda's Cafe is a little place that we stopped in for lunch.  Everything was delicious and freshly made. 

Another restaurant that has been in Cape May for many years is the Washington Inn.  It's a little traditional for us, but we were happy to see that they have added a wine bar to the restaurant, which serves a delicious small plate menu. FHFB and I prefer this type of dining to full out gourmet table dining - the more casual and the more options, the better for us.  The wine bar isn't mentioned on their website, but it's really worth stopping by.

Of course, if there's shopping, then you'll find me.  Cape May has some very nice shopping areas, the main area being a closed off street mall call the Washington Street Mall.  One of my favorite shops there is called The Whale's Tale - they have great jewelry - I picked up some earrings and a necklace by Holly Yashi - I love her colorful pieces. 


Here are a few more shops that are located on the Washington Street Mall:
I just loved this little window - isn't it adorable?  FHFB took this picture - it's the window to a little store called Bath Time and it's chock full of wonderful, luxurious things for the bath!  I know it looks like it's a kids store, but it's not at all, just whimsical.

Other shops out and about Cape May, but within walking distance are:
This is one of those stores for your pets.  I loved the window design in this store as well:
This little Victorian Mall is a bit outside of town but has a wonderful shop called The Bird House of Cape May, where they sell beautiful bird houses and bird feeders all made in the United States.  We purchased a beautiful little bird house with a copper roof and a great feeder for the winter.  The people there are very helpful and informative.

Other things to do in Cape May:
take a horse and buggy ride through town...

or ride the trolley.

One thing that we love to do whenever we're driving home from a long trip is to take the back roads, hoping to discover some interesting antique shops and restaurants.  We found just the thing a little bit out of town on old Route 9 in Swainton.  Dottie Page has a great antique shop called Ancient of Days Antiques. 



When we pulled up she was still straightening up from a wedding that was held on her property the day before.  The shop is actually a collection of small cottages all set on a lovely landscaped property. 




She has so many things that she also uses the backs of trucks to display some of it - all open with steps leading up so that you can go inside to poke around for something unique.  We purchased a set of antique dishes with the prettiest green design around the edges.  I could have spent all day there poking around.

I hope you enjoyed traveling to Cape May with me!

I'll be linking over at The Tablescaper for Summer Sunday!!

19 comments:

  1. In all the years, off and on, that I've lived out east, I never have been to Cape May! You would think I would have gone there when I was living in Philadelphia, but I was a poor grad student then.

    Loved your photos.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tour. Thank you!!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful...especially the water!
    Your stone farmhouse sounds amazing...and Frog Hollow Farm is a lovely name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to go to Cape May! Thanks for sharing. The Victorian era is one of my favorites!! Beautiful pics! Have a great weekend,
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI FARM GIRL,
    WHAT A BEAUTIFUL POST, SO INTERESTING TOO. UNCLE BILL AND I WENT TO CAPE MAY, IT'S A LOVELY PLACE. NEVER STAYED OVER, MORE AS DAY TRIPS. IT IS SO BEAUTIFUL, I REMEMBER THEIR LIGHTHOUSE. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A VERY NICE TIME. AS FOR MY QUEEN ANNE'S LACE, I WOULD LOVE TO FRAME IT, MUST PULL IT UP ON THE WEB FOR INSTUCTIONS.
    HAVE A NICE WEEKEND.
    LOVE, AUNT RIZ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a beautiful spot. Give me a home with pink shutters and pink doors. How gorgeous these places are. Thanks for showing me a place I hadn't heard of. Just beautiful. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ann Marie , I love Cape May and your post is a wonderful tour through this lovely quaint town. I hosted a party on it Cape May for a class I did several years ago, it was so much fun. I have wanted to do a post on it...oh well one of these days! You make me want to get back down there to visit asap! Have a great Sunday.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in Cape May long ago when my husband and I were in law school in Philly, and we oohed and aahed and wished we had $ to visit there more. (Now we have 2 kids in college so back to no $$, but that is a different story:)) Your post has me yearning to go there again! Isn't there also a ferry to take across to Delaware? I seem to remember that. Please do a post on the Burlington b&b! We travel up that way, to Stowe, often. Thank you for this great post! I am now following you so I don't miss any of your ideas! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you had a very nice visit! I really need to stop down there again-soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cape May looks wonderful. Maybe I'll get there someday! Just the kind of little town I love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a fun post. I've never been there and being from CA I doubt if I will ever get to enjoy a trip there in person. I love going on mini vactions via Blog Land :)

    Oh, if you can't find that strawberry recipe let me know and I'll send it to you. It's really good.

    Hugs,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just hopped over from More Fun Less Laundry to say hello. So glad to have found your blog. It has been years since I was in Cape May and I was so excited to take your lovely tour. I also know Burlington quite well but living in California I don't get to visit much, so I will look forward to hearing about that trip too. I am now following you so I won't miss your posts. My little rosebud icon has disappeared so you will only see me as a follower in the generic silhoutte...but I'm following. Looking forward to more of your posts. I hope you'll stop by my blog and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tour of Cape May was marvelous! It looks like a great spot to visit...good lodging,good food, and good shopping...that is HARD to beat! Just lovely photos! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is wonderful. I haven't been to Cape May in over 15 years and it brought back so many memories.

    Thanks so much for being a part of "Summer Sundays".

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a picturesque town! You captured it very well. I love the vintage postcard too. The B&B's look sweet. It would be so fun to visit. Thanks for the tour. Very Summer Sunday! Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had a great time. The Victorian mall shops are so sweet. Thanks for sharing. ♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delightful! I'd love to stay at a B&B like that! Some day, and until then I'll enjoy your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't been to Cape May in many years and your post made me want to re-visit it. My husband and I vacationed in Wildwood Crest, NJ a few times when our children were very young. I would really like to explore the Jersey shore more in future years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have you ever been to the Holiday Chef's Dine Around in Cape May at the end of November? Friends of ours have gone and invited us to go with them this year. Supposed to be a terrific sampling of food from all the little restaurants.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like little treasures, I cherish each and every one of them! Frog Hollow Farm Girl reserves the right to edit or delete all comments that are offensive, hateful in nature, or attack other visitors to this blog. All potential spam comments will be deleted.