Crema di Ricotta
con Salsa Caramello all'Arancia e Mandorle Tostate
(Ricotta Cream with Orange Caramel Sauce and Toasted Almonds)
For the ricotta cream:
1 pound fresh ricotta
2/3 cup confectioners sugar - sifted
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the ricotta in a bowl and cream with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add the sugar and cinnamon and mix thoroughly
- Add the cream in small amounts, mixing until well combined
- Add the zest and vanilla and mix again
- Chill, covered with plastic wrap for at least an hour
For the sauce:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons amber rum
- Cook sugar in a dry 1-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, undisturbed, until it begins to melt. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally with a fork (no liquids!!!!), until the sugar is melted into a deep golden caramel. This really does happen!
- Remove from the heat and carefully pour in orange juice, then rum (caramel will harden and steam vigorously!!). Cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until caramel is dissolved. Cool sauce to warm.
Garnish: 1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds - slightly toasted
- In individual serving dishes place a quenelle shaped portion of the ricotta cream. What's a 'quenelle' you ask???? Here's a You Tube video to help you see how Chef Patrick Fahey from Chicago forms an ice cream quenelle. Looks like a lot of work to me. If I were you I would just carefully mound the ricotta cream onto the plates.
- Drizzle with the sauce and sprinkle with the almonds.