The Kitchen Window

The Kitchen Window
Antique Milk Bottles with Herbs and Flowers

Welcome!

Welcome to the Frog Hollow Farm blog! I've been blogging since January 2010 and have switched from Blogger to Word Press, but I'm back to Blogger because, for me, it's easier to use. My husband and I live on a little farm in Northwest New Jersey. We have some chickens and a very large vegetable garden with asparagus and raspberries, and rows and rows of sunflowers, snapdragons and zinnias. Traveling, entertaining, gardening, spending time with family, studying Italian, blogging and reading keep us busy and happy. With all of this going on, moving towards a simpler life seems almost impossible but it's definitely a daily goal.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Spring Cleaning in January

I've been on a mission here at Frog Hollow Farm - attacking closets, drawers, shelves, corners - anyplace that has been collecting 'stuff', the kind of 'stuff' that makes me feel a bit closed in.  Even though our winter has been very mild, that closed in feeling is starting to get to me.   

Some of the things I re-discovered during my cleaning, clearing and straightening were:

***My Communion dress ***

My daughter Katie wore this dress for her Communion as well.
It's looking pretty sad.

It's calling out for a good, gentle washing and may even be asking to hang safely somewhere to be admired -  it's a sweet little dress


close up of the lace and trim 

Another cute little handy thing that I rediscovered, although it was only misplaced for a few weeks, was a little book of recipe bookmarks that my daughter gave me for Christmas


I think she found it at Anthropologie.
You place the card on the page you want to save and it has a little cut out that clips onto the page.

It works just like a bookmark, I'm making it sound like it's a fantastic new invention.  It's not, but it's pretty, much prettier than the post-its that I was using to mark recipe pages.  

When you close the book the top of the recipe bookmark shows on the top of the book.


By the way, this Irish Pub cookbook was given to us by our wonderful foodie friends Stephanie and Forrest - I made so many recipes from it for our last year's St. Patrick's Day celebration - and it was all delicious and the recipes I made could be made ahead of time too.

Here's the link to last year's St. Patrick's Day post.
http://froghollowfarmgirl.blogspot.com/2011/03/st-patricks-day-menu-from-irish-pub.html

Today's weather calls for temperatures in the 50s this afternoon - I am still waiting for that big, big snow storm!!!
I think it's time to do my snow dance!!
Ciao, bella!
xxoo

4 comments:

  1. It is such a weird winter. I too have been doing a ton of cleaning out. Keep up the momentum. My is currently drooping.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent blogging you have done.
    I've liked this a lot. Please keep
    continuing your creation.Online farming system

    ReplyDelete
  3. H there.....so glad you are back.....I think we are are uncovering things with our spring cleaning. The only problem is I seem to put them right back and rediscover them again a year later. LOL

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello my darling,

    I thank you my friend for not forgetting me and for all those lovely words you left for me while I was away. I popped in to wish you Happy Valentine's day and to let you know that you truly are a special friend.

    Love & Hugs
    Duchess

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like little treasures, I cherish each and every one of them! Frog Hollow Farm Girl reserves the right to edit or delete all comments that are offensive, hateful in nature, or attack other visitors to this blog. All potential spam comments will be deleted.