The Kitchen Window

The Kitchen Window
Antique Milk Bottles with Herbs and Flowers

Welcome!

Welcome to the Frog Hollow Farm blog! I've been blogging since January 2010 and have switched from Blogger to Word Press, but I'm back to Blogger because, for me, it's easier to use. My husband and I live on a little farm in Northwest New Jersey. We have some chickens and a very large vegetable garden with asparagus and raspberries, and rows and rows of sunflowers, snapdragons and zinnias. Traveling, entertaining, gardening, spending time with family, studying Italian, blogging and reading keep us busy and happy. With all of this going on, moving towards a simpler life seems almost impossible but it's definitely a daily goal.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Back to Aperitivo

I've been remiss in planning and posting my aperitivo ideas lately, probably due to the holidays (although I have posted other entries) but mainly due to the fact that if I keep eating all those aperitivo goodies with FHFB I will be the size of a small Celebrity cruise ship!  So, I've made a commitment that the one personal thing that can't be compromised in my life is some sort of physical activity each and every day.  For the past three days I've walked two miles each morning on the treadmill - thank goodness for Showtime because that's what keeps me busy while I'm walking away.  My biggest challenge is fitting the time to exercise into my day.  I've discovered that I need at least an hour (better if it's 90 minutes) of 'me' time in the morning before any exercise begins.  That 'me' time is used to have a hot cup of tea and catch up on emails, facebook and of course my blogging friends and their new entries.  Sometimes it's the creativity and beautiful photos on these blog updates that gets me a bit off-track as new ideas fill my brain and I plan new projects and posts! 

Yesterday FHFB and I took a road trip down to the Jersey shore.
The day was beautiful and we walked around Spring Lake and had a delicious little lunch at a small Italian deli right on Main St. (didn't get their name).  I had a pasta and fresh spinach salad and FHFB had a veal cutlet along with a healthy portion of brocolli rabe and sliced Italian sausage and half of a crusty loaf of bread.  See what I mean about eating - he can eat all of that and stay the same - I gained weight looking at him eat (or maybe because I stole things from his plate, like a slice of sausage and a chunk of that bread!)  Either way, we both love food and so the vigorous exercise must become part of my daily routine so I can enjoy bites of many delicious savories without guilt. 

We also stopped by Red Bank and purchased a few beautiful antique peices that I'll be sure to feature in my future blog entries.







Okay, onto tonight's aperitivo (especially since my Aunt Riz gave me an award for Italian cooking!):

Orrechiette Pasta with Cavolfiore Strascicato (Cauliflower and very little Bacon)
Polpette di Vitello con Carciofi e Carote (Veal Meatballs with Artichokes and Carrots)
Bruschetta with White Beans, Sun Dried Tomatoes and Basil

Ciao, bella!!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh! darling I made this delicious hors d'oeuvre of white bean and sun-dried tomatoes two weeks ago. By the way, I am in love with Michael Chiarello, seriously!! Darling, I am so sorry my music was not to your liking. You can hit "end" and get to the bottom of my blog to turn off or change the music. I get so many compliments on the choice of song!! A few months ago, I switched the songs around and in one day had several complaints, so I changed it back. Sorry my friend, I don't want the music to keep you away from my blog.

    Sending you love & hugs
    Duchess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel about exercise! I hate giving up food. So I swim every morning before I head off for work. It just means I have to be up at 5:30 everyday! I'm not losing any weight which I'd hoped to do. But I haven't gained either. I too have a treadmill and I honestly think I was losing more being on it. But I just get so bored even with the TV going. I just want to sit on the floor watching TV!! Exercise is so not easy!! Hope you are having a great weekend on the East Coast! The sun is shining here in Vancouver! Wish it would warm up a bit! I'm ready for the flip flops and capris!! Sherri : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A GREAT TIME AT THE SHORE. ON FRIDAY JACKIE, THE KIDS, AND I WENT DOWN TO LBI. THE WEATHER WAS SOOOO GREAT. THE SUN FELT GOOD, AND THE SMELL OF THE OCEAN I LOVE. I EVEN GOT A LITTLE COLOR. YOUR DINNER SOUNDS DELICIOUS. LOVE, AUNT RIZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your blog! I am so happy you came to visit and thank you so much for becoming a new follower. I have signed up to follow you too and I can't wait to go back and check out your other recipes. The first one I am going to try is the cauliflower with bacon-that looks divine!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fun hearing about such familiar places, names of towns from when I was living in NJ so long ago. Your day at the shore sounds so nice.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like little treasures, I cherish each and every one of them! Frog Hollow Farm Girl reserves the right to edit or delete all comments that are offensive, hateful in nature, or attack other visitors to this blog. All potential spam comments will be deleted.