The Kitchen Window

The Kitchen Window
Antique Milk Bottles with Herbs and Flowers

Welcome!

Welcome to the Frog Hollow Farm blog! I've been blogging since January 2010 and have switched from Blogger to Word Press, but I'm back to Blogger because, for me, it's easier to use. My husband and I live on a little farm in Northwest New Jersey. We have some chickens and a very large vegetable garden with asparagus and raspberries, and rows and rows of sunflowers, snapdragons and zinnias. Traveling, entertaining, gardening, spending time with family, studying Italian, blogging and reading keep us busy and happy. With all of this going on, moving towards a simpler life seems almost impossible but it's definitely a daily goal.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Columbine

We have an old wooden barrel in front of our garage that seems to have become the annual home of a beautiful columbine plant for several years now..

Here's a close-up of the flowers, a little past their prime maybe but still dainty and pretty.  The plant just keeps getting bigger every year!
It always takes me a minute or so to remember the name of this flower for some reason.  I love it when volunteers  find a favorite place to make their appearance and bloom year after year.

Ciao, bella!


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers! I love your blog...I come to it because it is so relaxing and keeps me dreaming of the time I can have my own farm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, one of my favourites!

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    ~Andrea~

    ReplyDelete
  3. The barrel is the perfect place to put these country flowers! That barrel is a real treasure!So pretty.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOOD MORNING FARM GIRL,
    COLOMBINE, IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN ISN'T THAT COLORADO'S STATE FLOWER? IT IS A BEAUTIFUL FLOWER. BILLY BROUGHT ME A PLATE BACK WHEN HE WAS OUT VISITING AUNT CAROLINE AND IT HAD THE COLOMBINE FLOWER ON IT. WELL, THE WEEKEND IS HERE, THE TWINS COME HOME EVERYDAY FROM SCHOOL AND GO HUNTING FOR FROGS, OR ANYTHING THEY CAN FINE. THEY MAKE HOMES FOR THEM. MAKAYLA FOUND A NEWT, SHE WAS SO EXCITED. SHE GOT ONE OF HER FISH TANKS AND MADE A BEAUTIFUL HOME FOR IT. THEY HAVE LIZARDS AND GECKO'S SO THEY KNOW WHAT TO FEED IT. MATTIE FOUND A FROG ON THE PLAYGROUND AT SCHOOL, SHE HAD HER TINY CARRYING CASE IN HER BOOK BAG, SO SHE PUT HIM IN THE CAGE, INTO THE BOOK BAG SO THE TEACHER WOULDN'T SEE IT. IT'S STILL ALIVE AND LIVING IN A NICE TANK TOO. THEY ARE SO FUNNY. WELL, HAPPY WEEKEND, HAVE A GREAT MOTHER'S DAY, AND GIVE MY BIG BROTHER A HUG AND KISS FROM HIS LITTLE SISTER. :)
    LOVE, AUNT RIZ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Farm Girl:)
    The blue Columbine is Colorado's state flower. I was thrilled to have a bunch of them under the aspen trees in my back yard, until the dogs trampled them to death. You've given me an idea to plant them in the one of the barrels I have. It never occurred to me that they would grown in a container.

    I love seeing all of the beautiful flowers at your place.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like little treasures, I cherish each and every one of them! Frog Hollow Farm Girl reserves the right to edit or delete all comments that are offensive, hateful in nature, or attack other visitors to this blog. All potential spam comments will be deleted.