The Kitchen Window

The Kitchen Window
Antique Milk Bottles with Herbs and Flowers

Welcome!

Welcome to the Frog Hollow Farm blog! I've been blogging since January 2010 and have switched from Blogger to Word Press, but I'm back to Blogger because, for me, it's easier to use. My husband and I live on a little farm in Northwest New Jersey. We have some chickens and a very large vegetable garden with asparagus and raspberries, and rows and rows of sunflowers, snapdragons and zinnias. Traveling, entertaining, gardening, spending time with family, studying Italian, blogging and reading keep us busy and happy. With all of this going on, moving towards a simpler life seems almost impossible but it's definitely a daily goal.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Mixing Things Up...

I don't think I'm going to have time to put a Cinco de Mayo tablescape together anytime soon - lots of outside gardening this weekend, a sweet baby shower tomorrow and then back to work consulting and testing some elementary students for 2 days. 

So, instead of a colorful tablescape I thought I'd post a colorful salad!

Getting some of the fresh ingredients together for the salad....


Let's see, it looks like we have bright yellow peppers, crisp English cucumbers, sweet grape tomatoes, crunchy carrots and celery, julienned prosciutto, chopped leaf lettuce, sliced endive and a sprinkle of blue cheese in the middle. 


I mixed everything together with a light whole grain mustard viniagrette made with first press virgin olive oil and a white balsamic vinegar, whole grain mustard, salt and pepper - very simple.

Guess FHFB really enjoyed it!

Hope all is well with all of you and that you're having a great weekend!

Ciao, bella!

14 comments:

  1. LOOKS SO GOOD !

    Happy May Day !

    Kary and Teddy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious Ann Marie, and now I am hungry! I love all the ingredients you used and the pitcher at the top is so pretty!
    Wow, it was a hot day today! The boys played sports and swam in the pool most the day. I planted our pumpkin patch in the scorching heat, I should sleep well tonight!
    Have a nice Sunday
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI FARM GIRL,
    LOVE YOUR SALAD, HEALTHY AND I'M SURE IT IS DELICOUS. IT'S GOING TO BE ANOTHER HOT DAY TODAY (SUNDAY) AND MAYBE SOME RAIN. HAVE A GOOD DAY.
    LOVE, AUNT RIZZI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Frog Hollow Girl. That looks so yummy! I guess Cinco de Mayo is pretty big in the States. We don't really give it much thought up here in Canada.But now I'm craving Mexican Food!! You must work in Education from what you were saying about testing some kids. I work as a Special Ed Assistant. In a Primary Resource Room. Mostly with kids who are severely Autistic. Can be pretty stressful at times. I like having my blog as a bit of a creative outlet! Hope you are having a great weekend! Sherri : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! That looks delicious. Who needs flowers for color when you have all of this abundance at your fingertips?! Just strolled over from Low Tide and I'm having fun seeing what you've been up to. I just started blogging in April and it has been such a wonderful experience, so far! Sounds like you have a busy week and hope it's a happy one for you! xx P&H

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUUUUMMM. I love being able to get my salad out of my yard, even if it is a little more work. Right now, my lettuce is bolting but it's not warm enough for basil and tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful salad, and very yummy pictures! I am especially fond of salads as of late, I need to get my waistline back in shape!

    Thank you for your very kind comments! As you can see I am a fan of your blog- I am your newest follower. I'll add you to my blog roll.

    You said something in your comments that really struck a cord with me. You wrote "its the little things". And you are so right!

    I would line to use that line for a weekly feature I am thinking about doing about little touches that make big differences. And I would like to use that line as the title for it.

    Would that be okay. I would give you credit for the inspiration of the title in an upcoming post with a link to your blog. I just thought it suited my idea so well.
    Please let me know...
    Thanks,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  8. My first time here. I don't whose blog I jumped from....
    That salad looks to pretty to eat with its colors popping out. I'm sure it tasted as good as it looked.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love salad and this looks especially Deeeelish! Thank you for coming by and leaving such sweet comments, it does my heart good!
    Have you ever tried strawberries in your salad? Awesome!
    Dena
    Sweet Pickles and Chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I had to pop back over. Did you just have a birthday?? Maybe I missed it and I wanted to wish you a happy bday?? or maybe I have been so busy I'm confused??
    I'm glad you are using your treadmill etc. as for the working out, I don't hate it or dread it, I really love it. It is actually one of my favorite times of the day. I do a good hour 7 days a week and am admittedly addicted to it LOL. I have been working out/running since I was in my teens and truly just love it so much. I make myself do it in the morning so I have energy all day and don't get too busy later on with the kids etc. But no matter how you feel about it, it is just great that you do it! As for weight coming off, it does get harder the older I get (: My husband can eat anything he wants and he doesn't gain weight and he does not exercise like I do. Men are so lucky!
    I am going to try and take a class down with Aaron maybe next week if I have time???
    Have a great night and Happy Mother's Day to you too!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That salad look fabulous, and I love the fact that you sort of threw it together. That is the best.

    Blessings,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. first of all: YUM!

    second: i popped over after seeing your comment at claudia's blog. there is the sweetest bakery called frog hollow near ocean city, nj. is that you? it's a must-stop on my summer visits to the shore.

    happy blogging!

    xo
    elyse

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks super yummy and super healthy! Great recipe!

    Happy Wednesday and best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that looks so yummy! I will have to make one this week for sure!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like little treasures, I cherish each and every one of them! Frog Hollow Farm Girl reserves the right to edit or delete all comments that are offensive, hateful in nature, or attack other visitors to this blog. All potential spam comments will be deleted.