The Kitchen Window

The Kitchen Window
Antique Milk Bottles with Herbs and Flowers

Welcome!

Welcome to the Frog Hollow Farm blog! I've been blogging since January 2010 and have switched from Blogger to Word Press, but I'm back to Blogger because, for me, it's easier to use. My husband and I live on a little farm in Northwest New Jersey. We have some chickens and a very large vegetable garden with asparagus and raspberries, and rows and rows of sunflowers, snapdragons and zinnias. Traveling, entertaining, gardening, spending time with family, studying Italian, blogging and reading keep us busy and happy. With all of this going on, moving towards a simpler life seems almost impossible but it's definitely a daily goal.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Little Spring Rod Curtain




Well, I finally dug out my old Bernina sewing machine and sewed up a little curtain to fit on a spring rod to hide some shelves on a piece of furniture in our conservatory. 

The Frog Hollow Farm Conservatory

This is what the shelves looked like before adding the little curtain:



I found several sets of April Cornell dishtowels at Home Goods for $4 each.  The colors and pattern seemed just right - I wanted something with a little yellow in it, preferably a pattern with lines, not flowers.  I sewed three of the dishtowels together to fit onto the spring rod, with a little puckering for fullness.

Here's how it looks now:



Now, I realize that the lines don't match up but that's okay in this setting (I think).  You can see that several of the plants are no longer on the top shelves, they're outside enjoying the dappled sunlight on a little table under our maple tree in the wine garden.  I definitely need to add some things to those shelves - it's looking a bit bare right now.

Here's a close-up of the dishtowel fabric: 



Even though the shelves aren't in this picture I think the fabric works well with the rug and other colors in the room. 

I'm at Transformation Thursday - stop by to see all of the fabulous ideas!


9 comments:

  1. What a great idea to cover up those shelves. Love that fabric! Thanks so much for your visit & sweet comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous room. I would never leave it! And adding the little dishtowel skirt to your furniture made such a wonderful difference. Great eye for style and color! I love this post- very inspirational.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing, what a bit of fabric can do? I love that you used dishtowels for this. It's such a cozy look. I wouldn't want to leave this room either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! This looks fabulous! The fabric works perfectly in this gorgeous room~!

    Lou Cinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderul conservatory room! Your fabric covered shelves look fantastic! Such a nice clean look! Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my bakers rack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a lovely, cozy home you have. I love it and I really enjoyed reading your blog. I'll be back!

    Cindy~

    p.s. I'm grabbing your cute gnome button for my other blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks really good. So amazed by any DIY project. Thanks for stopping by RHS always. You're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Bella. "Yes! Please do." There is a code button in a post there if you would like to use it. Thank you!!...And, by the way, your cottage and gardens look just like something out of a Beatrix Potter book. You are soooo Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the skirt, it just makes the shelf!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like little treasures, I cherish each and every one of them! Frog Hollow Farm Girl reserves the right to edit or delete all comments that are offensive, hateful in nature, or attack other visitors to this blog. All potential spam comments will be deleted.