The Kitchen Window

The Kitchen Window
Antique Milk Bottles with Herbs and Flowers

Welcome!

Welcome to the Frog Hollow Farm blog! I've been blogging since January 2010 and have switched from Blogger to Word Press, but I'm back to Blogger because, for me, it's easier to use. My husband and I live on a little farm in Northwest New Jersey. We have some chickens and a very large vegetable garden with asparagus and raspberries, and rows and rows of sunflowers, snapdragons and zinnias. Traveling, entertaining, gardening, spending time with family, studying Italian, blogging and reading keep us busy and happy. With all of this going on, moving towards a simpler life seems almost impossible but it's definitely a daily goal.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Dinner on the Porch with FHFB

FHFB invited two very old, dear friends over for dinner on Friday night.  Now, I'm not sure I've told you that FHFB is a meterologist, and our dinner guests were meteorologists as well.  So, these three guys were in heaven, talking about weather like they were chronicling a new global resource guide for climate and forecasting.  Not really, but they do love to talk about anything and everything to do with weather, and they have uncanny memories with regards to dates of storms, the type of weather, how much it rained, how long it rained, snow, wind, hail, sleet and so on and so on.  It's so much fun to sit and listen to them when they get started.  They are truly passionate about what they do. 

 

While they were all taking a long stroll around Frog Hollow Farm and admiring FHFB's garden and our pond, I set up some aperitivo on the porch.  Margaritas were served, along with ice cold beer and  a wonderful and affordable 2008 cabernet, sangiovese, merlot mix called Vitiano.  I think I've mentioned it before. 



Along with the drinks we served a fresh bruschetta home-made with organic grape tomatoes, english cucumbers, red onion, parsley, basil, olive oil, and salt and pepper.  We served it on toasted semolina bread.  Our goat cheese appetizer is really simple and is made with any flavor of goat cheese, thinly sliced red onion, fresh oregano and a red wine viniagrette.  We serve it on triangles of pumpernickel bread or any hearty whole grain bread. 




Our dinner included more meat than I usually serve in one meal, but these guys are carnivores, and I had to make sure they had everything they liked.  All of the food was made earlier in the day, so I didn't have to rush around while everyone was here. 


I oven roasted a cut up chicken and then brushed it with a store-brought barbeque sauce that was really delicious, Stubb's Original.  I usually make my own sauce, but I didn't have the time on Friday. 

Whole, large shrimp were cleaned and marinated in olive oil, sliced garlic, rosemary and lemon.  We grilled these and served them at room temperature. They are truly delicious and one of our signature appetizers in the summer. 

A flank steak was covered with our dry rub and grilled to perfection, sliced and also served at room temperature.  Our dry rub also works really well on chicken breasts as well as chicken wings.

The two side dishes for the evening were an oven roasted potato salad and fresh asparagus.  The asparagus was picked earlier that day from our garden and was simple to make, I just blanched it and drizzled a bit of extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and pepper over top. 


The roasted potato salad is an interesting potato salad and it isn't made with mayonnaise, so it's a great summer salad.  It's full of roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, capers and a light red wine viniagrette




Here they are, deep in discussion - it was wonderful seeing them get together and listening to them talk about what they have been fascinated with since they were little boys - the WEATHER! 

Ciao, bella!

4 comments:

  1. BRAVO! BRAVO! FARM GIRL, YOU DID IT AGAIN, IT ALL LOOKS WONDERFUL AND DELICIOUS. YOUR MOM WOULD BE SO PROUD OF YOU.
    HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY.
    LOVE, AUNT RIZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks absolutely delicious! And your porch is beautiful - I love great porches.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann Marie, Everything looks so beautiful and the food looks delicious! I love porches and yours is lovely. I hope you are enjoying your Mother's Day..I am relaxing at home with the boys today. The party we had last night went until about 1am and I am a bit tired today. Oliver loved it ( he turned 5, April 26th). Anyway have a very Happy Mother's Day.
    xoxo
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh btw, you can leave questions or comments where ever you like, but the only place I wouldn't see them is below the comment I leave on your posts, only because I wouldn't know they are there???
    ~your desk and chair sound beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like little treasures, I cherish each and every one of them! Frog Hollow Farm Girl reserves the right to edit or delete all comments that are offensive, hateful in nature, or attack other visitors to this blog. All potential spam comments will be deleted.